17 September 2010

Spanish anyone?

I am blogging to avoid doing my Spanish homework. I have been listening to some audio exercises and wondering whether it is actually possible to learn a new language without immersion. I am slowly entertaining the thought that I should gracefully depart from the class. Perhaps my brain is too slow for Spanish - why do they have to talk so fast? Do we speak English at the same speed? I can make out some words and understand the gist of the conversation but then I get lost on the specifics. If I have to say so, I am not bad with reading and writing but conversation makes my palms sweat and my heart race. 

Why am I learning Spanish? I always wanted to learn a foreign language and presumed that it might be French since half of Africa speaks French. But I fell in love with the Latin energy on a visit to Cuba via Madrid a few years ago. It was April, spring time in Madrid. Everywhere you could smell the new beginnings in the air, everybody was waking up from a long winter. Couples of all ages were spilling onto the pavements to sit and chat and drink coffee. I liked the European-Moorish mix that was evident in the city, in the art, architecture and even in the food. We spent a few days exploring on foot, the many plazas, the markets and the museum, taking a break in quaint cafes and restaurants. 

Cuba was a total onslaught of the senses - the people, the music, the food spoke of passion. Women in sexy, brightly-coloured clothes, sashayed down the streets of Havana to the rhythm of the salsa, girls looking like brides, celebrated their 15th birthdays, boys played baseball wherever there was an open space.  The joy of having survived a hurricane was tangible. Young couples were courting along the Malecon, parts of it recently rebuilt after Katrina.  There was a "devil-may-care" attitude born of the knowledge that at anytime a storm could wash away your home, your life. 

On our return, I decided that Spanish was the language I needed to learn because I was definitely going back to Spain and Cuba someday. Before I knew it, I had found a teacher and opened a door to a new culture and history. I have become more aware of Spanish movies, food, soccer and, of course, Rafael Nadal. I love learning Spanish most of the time but I have been tempted to throw the book at the teacher, on occasion. I revelled in the Spanish victory in the World Cup as if I were Spanish myself, and renewed my determination to learn the language.

There are many benefits to learning a new language - meeting new people, eating different food, trying  a dance class (although I have discovered that I have two left feet in any language!), apparently keeping Alzheimer's at bay. It's a great ice-breaker when you meet a native-speaker and you just seem to be a little more interesting when you say you can speak another language. Oh well, back to the homework!

No comments: