19 June 2011

Who's your auntie?

It happened while I was standing in a dessert buffet queue at a wedding. The young man in front of me, pointed to one of the desserts in front of us and asked, "Do you think that is ice-cream or mousse, Auntie?" It took a few seconds for me to realise that this grown up MAN was talking to me. Calling me auntie. Did I even know him? When did that happen - strange young men, calling me auntie? I don't deny the passage of time, but really...?

I have been contemplating the grey streaks which have appeared as natural highlights in my hair and have decided that I plan on aging gracefully. Apart from some of the creaky bits that have made themselves felt, I think that I am enjoying getting older. The past few years have been interesting, I have learned much through courses and travel, and had fun along the way.

Now that my children are more independent, I find numerous possibilities surfacing to occupy my time. I am relishing the time to pursue interests that nourish me, like writing and photography. I also enjoy the more "mature' attitude that I now have to studying - I spent so many years getting into a neurotic state over exams that it is a treat to be able to attend courses and make the most of the opportunity without performance anxiety. 

I believe that I am embracing the process although don't for one moment think that I plan on being frumpy! I'll be wearing purple with a red hat that doesn't go, as the poem by Jenny Joseph goes. I think that there is a lot to be said for not being 'mutton dressed as lamb'. I shudder when I see women of a certain age trying to cling onto youth at all costs, literally and figuratively. As for the sexily-clad moms one sometimes sees in the car park, they put so much pressure on young girls to look a certain way. After all, unless you have Demi Moore as a mother, you would like to at least look younger than your mom.

Listen to Jenny Joseph read her poem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cACbzanitg

1 comment:

Mary's Quest said...

Go girl....I look forward to getting back to SA to share in some more learning experiences!