13 March 2012

Missing Out?

I had a little chuckle when I read my friend Kate’s wall post on her Face book page: “Being in Cape Town and not doing the Argus is a bit like being alone on New Year’s Eve”. Our neighbours opposite were doing it, other friends have been hard at training, and we had friends from Johannesburg around for “carbo-loading” on Saturday evening. Actually, we had tried to book a restaurant, but every Italian place and a few others, was fully booked. Eventually we settled on take-outs and had a very pleasant, early evening.

Not being a cyclist, though, it seems to me that you have to be a little crazy to want to spend so many hours on a bike. Granted the scenery is amongst the best in the world but there are easier ways to see it. It’s great though, that we have this “largest timed cycling event in the world” right here in our city. It far outweighs any inconvenience related to closed roads, fully booked restaurants and bike talk and manoeuvring around schedules.

Yesterday afternoon as I was walking around the shops, I kept over-hearing snippets of conversation – everyone seemed to be talking about the race – on their cell phones or over coffee. I heard some of the blood, sweat and tears that went into the race. So I guess it is a bit like being alone while everyone is having a big party. We might have to start a support group next year...

No comments: