13 August 2012

Couch Potatoes and Olympic Glory


I braved the cold for a brisk walk around the neighbourhood yesterday afternoon.  Usually I comfort myself with the thought that those extra kilos are winter padding and that they’ll be gone come summer. But, has it been cold this winter, or what? I haven’t quite worked out if it is because of age that I have been feeling it so much, or if it actually has been much colder this year. It did snow in all nine provinces last week, so maybe it’s not quite time to phone the retirement homes. I think the Olympics have to take some of the blame for the weight gain this time around.

I have surpassed my quota of TV viewing over the last ten days of Olympic glory. Besides the athletics and swimming, I have watched events that I would never ordinarily watch – synchronised swimming, beach volleyball, even judo. It has certainly been an emotional time – wet cheeks, quivering bottom lips and joyful smiles have kept me watching the victory ceremonies.

My nerves were completely jangled by Caster Semenya’s race on Saturday – I wanted her to win that gold so much; to say “Take that!” to all her detractors... I was puzzled by how she ran the race and a little disappointed at the outcome. However, it’s no mean feat to win Olympic silver. We have bagged six medals – our greatest haul since 1992, and Rio 2016 beckons. Onwards and upwards!

The last race has been run, the last anthem has been sung...and we can get off the couch now.  In desperation I have been thinking about a gym membership. I hate the gym ordinarily but watching all those toned bodies slice into the water, lope over finishing lines and leap into the air has ignited a spark – I will have to see if I can fan it into a flame...

No comments: