10 October 2017

Looking for a Magazine that Grace and Frankie will enjoy

My brain has been rather over-taxed by academic reading and I long for something that I can get lost in, switch off and float along on the words and maybe doze off ... without constantly reading between the lines for hidden references to my subject matter. See previous blog on reading for pleasure...

I decided yesterday that a magazine might do the trick when I popped into the supermarket for an overdue replenishment of stocks. Rows of magazines were on display - home and garden, parenting, fashion and travel...I scrolled through the selection but nothing popped out at me. I didn't want a whole magazine on any of those topics but a maybe little bit of everything. My children have finished school, my home is pretty comfortable (besides I am subscribing to an old piece of advice from my new mother days - let your home be dirty enough to be happy and clean enough to be healthy), and I have been fortunate to travel a good part of the world.

There were magazines for "iconic black women", business entrepreneurs, and health nuts all half my age. I picked up a magazine that had a blurb about menopause and found the article - I swear that the woman used to illustrate that article isn't going to experience a hot flush for another 10 years at least.

Where are the people who look like me? Who aren't baring their all figuratively or literally, who aren't looking like slightly weathered versions of their teenage daughters? Where are the ones who are exploring new freedoms from their empty nests, going back to study, getting involved in their communities, reinventing themselves? The ones having real hot flushes or forgetting whether they actually did take the omegas which are supposed to improve memory? 

Does anyone do yoga in comfortable tops and pants, rather than sweating it out in figure-hugging designer gear, in rooms heated to above normal body temperature? I want to see women who like to look smart but are not looking for labels, who aren't afraid to try something new even if they fail and look silly. Where is the magazine that someone who rolls about laughing at the adventures of proper Grace and eccentric Frankie  will enjoy? Please feel free to recommend any!

Offerings at the local supermarket

No comments: