16 July 2010

Google it!

My son has been doing some research for an oral. The brief is to prepare an oral about someone who has made a significant change to the course of history in a particular field. He has chosen Larry Page and Sergei Brin, the founders of Google. I was not quite sure that I would have used such strong language regarding their achievements, but as he has progressed with his oral, I have had a rethink.

Google has revolutionised the way ordinary people have access to knowledge. If you are able to read and write and have access to a computer, there is an open door to learning about almost any subject in the world.

What has impressed my son (apart from the billions of dollars that these two young men have made) is that they seem to have their feet firmly on the ground. They each drive the environmentally -friendly Toyota Prius (as a budding greenie this is a big plus in his eyes) and they have created a very "cool" work environment for their staff. Special mention to be given by him about the weekly roller-hockey games in the car park!

As someone born in the "old days", as my kids call it, I have had to make a conscious effort to become technologically-competent. It amazes me how different their response to research is to mine. My first instinct is to look it up in a book or ask someone. They know everything (and they really do know more than us) at a touch of a button. A while back, I wanted the lyrics to a particular song and my daughter not only down-loaded the song but presented me with a print-out of the lyrics.

"In my day", I remember sitting with a tape recorder hitting pause, rewind and play in an effort to scribble down the lyrics of a song! I certainly have learned much from them - look at me now - email, Google, Face Book, Blogging ... the web is my oyster! Although I still have to shout for help and suffer the rolling eyes every now and then. It feels good to know that with all the privilege they enjoy, they are still able to look for the quallities that make people like the Google-geniuses, real heroes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true..and yes, ordinary, desperate people can access any information because of Google.
That is where I learnt that a meningioma is a brain tumour. The GP sent me home with my sinus scan, and asked me if I had private health cover...he did not tell me a thing about my condition.His body language concerned me. I was flabbergasted when I got home, and enlisted the help of Google, at what I found.

Anonymous said...

This is how it has empowered people so that they can access the information they are entitled to.