15 February 2012

You can't teach them anything....

You can’t protect them from everything, I have realised. I heaved a sigh of relief when my son chose hockey over rugby. Every time I hear about broken forearms and collar bones or horror of horrors, neck injuries and concussion, I thank my lucky stars that I don’t have to worry about that. And then he does a 100m sprint and next thing, something “pops” in his hip.

Orthopaedic surgeon, X-rays, MRI scan, ice and physiotherapy later, we now face two months of no sport (any suggestions for channelling the energy of a 15 year old welcome).  He has been on crutches for the last two weeks and I can see him getting fed up. They are a hindrance when he quickly wants to do something or go somewhere.  My reminders about preventing problems later by being patient now, fall on deaf ears.

I suggested to him that sometimes things happen for a reason. “You are probably going to tell me the reason,” he replied. I thought that perhaps the lesson to be learnt is that he should be more flexible, take time to stretch, rather than to be in dogged pursuit of the goal. He rolled his eyes in response. You reach the stage where you can’t teach them anything either. 

2 comments:

Mary said...

You are so right!

Tracy said...

It is such a relief to hear the stories of other "wise" teenagers. Having 1 of 21 now, I can say that their eternal wisdom starts to fade and they seek out a bit of guidance and input from us adult types.