14 June 2012

Flu Season


I have been in lockdown for a few days in an attempt to rid myself of the dreaded flu which is doing the rounds at the moment. By all accounts it hits you, tricks you into thinking you are better and then comes back for the blow behind the knees. I have had a lot of time to think about this! In spite of my two-pronged attack (orthodox and complementary medicine) I have been forced to lie low.

After a weekend of hacking cough, piles of used tissues and an anaesthetised mouth from sucking throat lozenges, and drinking copious amounts of hot water with ginger, lemon and honey, I had had enough. On Monday I cancelled all my appointments, re-arranged what had to be re-arranged, and have not even set a toe outside this house since. It seems to be helping.

Today I am feeling better, the sun is shining and I am thinking about venturing outside to allay the cabin fever. “Next week,” I have decided, “I will have to detox, rid myself of the after-effects of drugs and germs...eat well...exercise. This flu is vicious - got to see that the children keep warm, eat well and take their vitamins.” And, resolutely I set off down the stairs to see what needs doing.

There are reminders for grocery shopping on the notice board on the fridge:
·         COCO POPS!!!! (This has been his weekend treat for more years than I can remember, and, for some reason, the shops have been out of it)
·         Milk for the weekend (okay that one’s alright, although it’s probably for the copious amounts of COCO POPS he plans on eating)
·         Maple Syrup ("the fake one" – underlined a few times, just in case I had any plans of buying anything healthy)

So much for detoxing and eating well...I guess youth will carry them through. For us oldies, perhaps a little basking in the sun...keep warm and rest. 

No comments: