15 June 2012

Knit One, Purl One


In my day we learned to knit and sew at school, producing garments which hid a multitude of sins beneath the uniform exteriors presented for marking. The wool was of the cheapest acrylic you could buy from OK Bazaars and the fabric was stiff, government-issue. The products of our labour were not meant to be worn proudly.

Luckily, my creative side was not totally killed off. I was surrounded by women who were skilled crafters. My paternal grandmother’s fingers flew over her crochet work – churning out intricately designed bedspreads which supplemented her small pension. My maternal grandmother was renowned for her annual stall at the church bazaar which she stocked with everything from cushions and tea cosies to knitted baby clothes and adult-sized jerseys. My mother could knit up a storm. She preferred knitting smaller items for children so family and friends alike were treated to the fruits of her busy hands.

It was as a university student that I really got over my first awkward attempts and started sewing my own clothes. Later on I proudly produced clothes for both my children, with fun fabrics bought from the Naartjie outlet up the road. I also became a prolific knitter (although none of my children benefitted from that phase – they had granny). As students we were into pure wool, hand-spun and naturally dyed which we had to roll into balls before we could begin to knit. Together we sat between lectures with our thick needles and brightly coloured yarn, comparing life experiences and the jerseys we were knitting for boyfriends. And then slowly without any conscious decision, I stopped.

This flood of nostalgia was brought on by popping into the Knead restaurant a little while ago. I was eager for one of their roasted aubergine pizzas (yum!). Right at the door was a basket overflowing with fluffy, bobbly wool and knitting needles. “Knit a row and go” said the sign next to it. I didn’t need a second invitation. So while I waited for my order, I took a trip down memory lane.

The “Knit a Row and Go” campaign is a drive to get 1 000 blankets for orphaned babies launched by Me-a-Mama. Look out for wool, needles and instructions at cafes, waiting rooms and hairdressers. 

3 comments:

Carey said...

Hi Saaray

Thank you so much for your contribution to Me-a-Mama's knit a row and go. Your blog is wonderful and we really appreciate the mention.

Have fun knitting!

Best,
Carey
+27 799 24 8585

Oceangirl said...

What a lovely idea to knit a row. You made me think of laying on my mom as a kid while she knit us blankets. Knitting inbetween lectures?! That is even more wholesome than hanging out in the library:-)

Unknown said...

And when I started working, we knitted at teatime and lunch time. And then there was knitting while watching TV. Wimbledon was happening during the winter school holidays so we finished a whole jersey! Actually now that I think about it, those were very productive times!