24 November 2012

Big Words


I treated myself to a set of BIG WORDS flashcards today. Yes, I know I may be getting a bit on in years for flash cards, but it seemed like such fun to sample the smorgasbord of seldom used words. I was tickled pink by the phrase which caught my eye: “I may be Lilliputian but I am still remarkably strong!” It stayed with me as I walked out of the shop at the Old Biscuit Mill this morning and I had to go back for more!

It was asking to be read in an English accent. In fact, the last time I heard someone use discombobulate (one of the other words in the pack), it was indeed an Englishman – no less than HRH Prince Charles who was bemoaning the "discombobulating around the climate change issues" just before COP17 was to take place in Durban in December last year.

So be prepared to be dazzled by some splendiferous words! The pack includes instructions for three fun games and is recommended for ages 6 and up...ssh! And, yes they are all in the Oxford dictionary, even splendiferous – I checked! I promise not to start acting all hoity-toity now that I know some big words.

BIG WORD Flashcards is distributed by Knock Knock, a registered trademark of Who’s There Inc. 

No comments: