23 December 2012

Walking for Happiness

On Friday morning I crept out of the house at 06h20, so as not to wake the sleeping bodies who are on holiday. Apart from getting an early start to the day (in case it was the end of the world) I was off to the last session of Run/Walk for Life. At least I would be doing something that was making me feel good, if it all did come crashing around us!

I think that I may have become just the tiniest bit addicted to the walking. Recently, on the R/WFL program, I have been doing it more regularly and in a more structured way. Over the last three months or so it's become a firm habit and I find myself looking forward to it. I feel good, have more energy and am sleeping and eater better. 

It has been proven that exercise makes you feel good because it decreases the levels of stress hormones and increases the endorphins. Endorphins can be described as the body's feel-good chemicals, or I like to call it "happy juice". They block transmission of pain, and produce a feeling of euphoria, in the same way that a drug like morphine would.  Exercise and the effect of endorphins leaves you with a joyful feeling, elated and content. In other words, when you commit to exercise you are committing to feeling good. 

I can think of worse things that you could become addicted to.

Click here for the Top 10 Health Benefits of Walking. 

No comments: