08 July 2011

Give this wedding a miss!

Last night I went off to the movies with my daughter and a friend for a much-anticipated “chick-flick”. I was not expecting anything cerebral, just a light-hearted, feel-good movie to relax by – something pink and fluffy, as my daughter calls it. The reviews for Bridesmaids were good enough and I specifically remember reading one which said: “like The Hangover without the vulgarity”. Fine with me. I had seen The Hangover and had no desire to see a sequel of the vulgarity.

The movie was sold out except for some single seats which we decided to take...promising. The popcorn queue snaked around the escalator. We decided we didn’t need any and headed straight for our seats, ready to be entertained. Well, I am sorry to say that I was duped into seeing the female version of The Hangover. The opening scenes of the movies were not promising at all. We were subjected to a couple who looked like they were trying to have sex but were still working out which was the right way to go about it.

There is one particular scene in the movie, where after eating some bad Mexican food the bridesmaids head out to a bridal studio to try on dresses. They all start getting sick and what ensued was what I suppose was meant to be funny – one bathroom and five women falling over each other to get rid of lunch from both ends. Maybe I am  missing a funny bone, but most women don’t carry on like that.

There were some funny moments but not enough to redeem the movie. There is so much reality TV out there these days where everyone tries to behave as shockingly as they can. Perhaps the movie-makers feel pressure to up the shock value.

We came home and watched a recording of Modern Family – for a brain-cleanser, as my daughter said - much like you have sorbet between courses to cleanse the palate. I feel like hunting down the reviewer and shooting him. Actually, what did I expect, relying on a man’s review of a chick-flick? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool... I was just about to get duped to. Thanks you saved me wasting my time! I will stick to animated kiddies movies for the moment. Since I saw you I have seen Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cars 2!! Next on the list is Jock of the Bushveld.. they are all quite sweet you should try one.. kiddies movies have come a long way in the last few years.