03 June 2015

Themba Lize - going places




About three years ago, I wrote about a local craftsman, Themba Lize, who had overcome many obstacles to become a fine leather designer. Imagine my excitement when I spotted the sign "Themba Lize (Pty) Ltd" at the crafters' exhibition at the Cape Town International Jazz Festival in March this year. 

"I am currently making sandals, handbags & toiletry bags. My business has grown in the manner that I am now attending short courses provided by the CCDI* and this helps a lot in terms of managing my business and to do things like product Costing etc," Themba updated me. 






*CCDI is the Cape Craft and Design Institute which  was set up in 2001 to support the needs of creative businesses in the Western Cape, and to grow the region’s craft and design sector. A not-for-profit company, the CCDI is a joint initiative of Western Cape Government and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT). CCDI offers business, marketing and product support to develop capable people and build responsible creative enterprises, trading within local and international markets.

Themba at work in his workshop in Franschoek
Themba tells me that he is working on new ideas to expand his business. Watch this space. 

Themba's Contact Details:
Cell: 084 880 3128
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/thembalizehandcraftedleathergoods

Photographs supplied by Themba 


No comments: