04 June 2015

Stockholm - a few of my favourite things


The Royal Palace, Stockholm across the water from The Grand Hotel.
Behind the palace lies Gamla Stan, the old town.


Proof that he's done it!
Friends have just been to Sweden to run the Stockholm Marathon and asked me about things to do there before they left. I am of absolutely no use as far as the marathon is concerned (I did Google it and learnt that it is one of the most scenic routes in the world, along many waterways and taking in the Royal Palace, Park, the City Hall and Opera House).

Stockholm is my favourite city in the world   ("We give you one winter and then let's hear if you still think that," warns a friend who would love to migrate south.) and there are a few places I can recommend. 




Here are a few of my favourite things



My favourite hotel = Hotel Skeppsholmen
Situated on a small island with the Museum of Modern Art and the Museum of Architecture as its neighbours. Last year I combined a visit for the World's Children's Prize ceremony with a stay to work on my thesis. Imagine brisk walks interspersed with writing in the dining room after breakfast, Norah Jones playing softly in the background. At least go there for breakfast or lunch or brunch if you’re not staying.

 






I have also stayed at The Grand – but it is just that – grand! Kind of like the Mount Nelson or the Table Bay. Also popular for tea. Across the road from the hotel is a little kiosk that belongs to them – good coffee to go. Have a kanelbullen. Oh, the Swedes drink very strong coffee…just saying.



The Grand Cafe

kanelbullen


Square with Nobel Museum on the right

You have to walk around the old town –  across the water from the Grand you will see the royal palace and that whole area behind it, is the old town Gamla Stan. It’s one of Europe’s best-preserved medaeval towns. The Nobel Museum is on the town square; worth a visit for some insight into Alfred Nobel's legacy. Also visit the restaurant, Den Gyldene Vrede, which dates back to 18th century. Nobel decreed that the committee which decides on the prize for Literature, meets here every Thursday evening. 



Typical street in Gamla Stan 

Sign outside Den Gyldene Vreden 

And then there’s a very different, funky restaurant Pubologi. It’s an experience. Book online before you go.

My favourite museum = FotografiskaThe café at the museum has the most beautiful views of Stockholm and the restaurant is another eating experience – book for dinner.

And nice for a walk around inside and out – Waldermarsudde art museum; and have something to drink in the café which is actually the original kitchen of the house of Prince Eugen (1865-1947).


Aerial view of Waldemarsudde from website 


Everyone says you have to visit the Vasa Museum but I haven’t yet. 
It’s the only almost-fully intact 17th century ship in the world. 



The ABBA Museum is another place I haven't made it to. 

 


And my favourite shop (for gadgets and because I can buy small gifts to bring back) – 

Designtorget
Photo: Visitstockholm.com

Visit the Sodermalm district for its vibey, alternative feel – shops, art galleries, cafes, etc. 

Take a boat trip in the archipelago if you have time and the weather is good.





Photographs of ship, ABBA, the kanelbullen and the medal, courtesy of C. Kotze.All other photos, unless otherwise credited, taken by me.  

2 comments:

Girl on a Gap said...

Cool blog! Makes me want to visit Sweden - write a blog while listening to Norah Jones, try Kanelbullen (FOR THE FIRST TIME!) and take lots of walks under the blue sky.

Unknown said...

Hey Girl on a Gap
Thanks for your comment. Now you see why it's my favourite city, in spite of the weather. :)