20 February 2011

All Grown Up

In spite of me bearing witness (with my camera in tow) to the transformation of the past few days (hair, make up and so on) when she put on that dress, the young woman in front of me took me by surprise. 

Of course we were running late and when she came down the stairs all the family and friends who had come to wish her well, swarmed around with camera lights flashing. She looked as overwhelmed as I felt. All I wanted to do was to freeze the moment and allow flashbacks of her taking her first tentative steps or her first day at school or even that picture after she lost her front teeth, to roll before my eyes. All too soon she was off to the pre-party and from there to school, where the dance was being held.



True to the unpretentious school tradition, the matriculants arrived to cheering and clapping on bikes with sidecars, vintage cars, on boats (yes, being skilfully steered by a jeep from behind) and in our yellow beetle decorated to look like a bug, complete with black spots and eyes. The parents were allowed a peek into the "Night in Venice" hall and then it was time to say goodbye. Time to hand her over to her partner, time to let go for the first all-nighter to come, time to trust that she would have fun and be safe.

sneak preview

So here we are the day after - we have survived the matric dance, the pre- and post-parties and life can go back to normal. We have moved onto a new stage, the 18th birthday looms as does the driving test and then, before we know it, final exams. I am steadfast in my resolve that it would be best to send me a "Just Married" postcard.


No comments: