04 September 2012

Run/Walk for Life

If this little flower can hold on for the spring , so can I!

Ah! Dare I say it? Spring is here at last! It is no longer pitch dark when I get up in the morning and today the temperature hovered around 20 degrees for most of the day. The bright sunshine made me feel like a dance around a Maypole or some such northern hemisphere practice.

A combination of winter, travelling, being sick, no yoga, and no walking, has left me feeling sluggish, fed up and unhealthy. So I have cut my hair (a woman always means business when she cuts her hair) and I have just been checking out Run/Walk for Life. I really need to up my cardio-vascular exercise, for my health and weight. I hate the gym, I have tried boot camp and walking by myself is not getting the desired result. So drastic situations call for drastic measures…

Actually, it looks more than manageable and not quite so drastic…the program is well-monitored and formulated to progress gradually.  So far, the people I have met seem pleasant and supportive. After two sessions I have learned to walk using my arms (felt those muscles the next day!) and have managed to get the pulse racing. I enjoy walking and being outside; I feel like I am in training for long forest walks...

Run/Walk for Life is Proudly South African and is endorsed by the Heart Foundation of South Africa. What’s more, the program is run right here in the neighbourhood. So come on summer! I am ready to go!

You may also like: Spring has Sprung and To Carbo-load or Not  and Couch Potatoes and Olympic Glory 

3 comments:

Saarah said...

I really like that you've added pictures and links to your blog. What a great addition and it looks so professional! :) x

Unknown said...

Thanks! I am trying to integrate my very amateur photography skills with my writing.

Hans said...

Thank you for the "air-time"; really do appreciate the exposure .... and I am glad that so far the programme is working out for you.