17 September 2012

Staying in Touch

File:Creación de Adán.jpg
Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam


So there I was pouring my heart out to my husband over Skype, when next thing I am talking to the corner of the ceiling in his hotel room in Shanghai, while he adjusted the volume. It kind of broke the moment. Sometimes modern technology is not all it's cracked up to be...or maybe it's the powers that be who complicate matters so? You'd swear we were trying to get through to heaven. 

My husband has been in China for ten days now and we have had a fair amount of contact via email, Blackberry Messenger and the occasional good old-fashioned telephone call. Skype has been a bit irritating as the connection is not always very clear. And then he also keeps fiddling with it so that I find myself talking to his left ear or chin, just when I have something rather important to share. 

He's not doing very well with the jet lag and so we are having chats at 21h00 South African time when it's 03h00 in China! I am not sure how he is functioning in meetings during the day. I am not complaining as it's good to know that there's someone on the other side of the world to talk to at any time. 

Usually, he likes to catch up with my blog when he is away - he is one of my silent followers who never leaves comments - but this time, horror of horrors (!) he has discovered that the blogger site has been blocked. I certainly don't have anything that needs to be censored in my blog, or so I believe, but I think that it's the whole site and more, which he cannot access. It's a reminder to not take free speech for granted and to keep fighting for it when we do have it. 

Meanwhile I await his return when he can read my blogs at home...and not comment. 

No comments: